Chances are, it’s not all in your head, and the way you’re feeling … well it’s your gut telling you – something is not right.
Gut issues are not fun, I know, I’ve been there. So often though, we try to get the answers from Dr. Google. Don’t get me wrong, we can find some pretty good information there, but how do you know if it’s the right piece of advice for you?
It’s worth your piece of mind and health to find to the cause of your discomfort and finding out how to Repair your gut to start back on the path to good health is important because like Hippocrates, the founder of modern medicine, said –
“All disease begins in the gut”
so you’ve been experiencing things like …
- Food intolerances or food sensitivities,
- Constipation or Diarrhoea (or both!),
- feeling Bloated,
- Anxiety or mild Depression,
- Skin problems like Eczema or Acne,
- Muscle or Joint Aches,
- frequent Colds,
- Hay-fever, Sinus or even
- Thyroid issues
You could have Intestinal Hyperpermeability, or more simply put, a Leaky Gut.
What is Leaky Gut?
It’s when your intestines lose their net-like integrity and the small gaps that allow for the absorption of nutrients, get bigger; allowing larger molecules to get through – like gluten and casein. These molecules enter the bloodstream, re-circulate and cause inflammation, sometimes in joints and sometimes in specific organs. This sets up a source of inflammation systemically throughout the body and can cause immune system activation, which left unresolved, can be the source of a downward health spiral.
80% of your immune system is located in your gut. If leaky gut isn’t fixed it can cause immune issues like auto-immune disease and food sensitivities.
So you want to get to the cause of it all, right?
But how do you know if it’s your gut bugs that are off balance? or whether you have a case of SIBO? or gut inflammation or chronic infection? if you’re eating the wrong food? if it’s stress that’s churning down on your ability to digest? or your neurotransmitters are out of whack?
Your body is a whole system – what affects one part will in time, affect another. The bottom line here is, the longer you ignore your body, the more complicated things become.
The Warning signs that you might have Leaky Gut.
Any one of these issues means you have some form of Leaky Gut.
- Food sensitivities or food allergies e.g consume dairy and your nose runs a bit, or issues with gluten.
- Any type of gas or bloating, cramping or digestive problems
- Any type of IBS, chronic constipation or chronic diarrhoea, or Inflammatory Bowel disease such as Crohns or Ulcerative Colitis.
- Autoimmune disease. The tight junctions of the gut lining opens up and holes are created to let certain things like gluten and casein – things that shouldn’t be allowed, to get through to the bloodstream causing inflammation of the whole body. Left unchecked for a long time, the body’s autoimmune response kicks in and you can develop issues such as rheumatoid arthritis or even Grave’s disease, Hashimotos, Lupus, Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue.
- Thyroid and Adrenal issues, Hashimotos or Adrenal fatigue –
- Joint Pain or Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Malabsorption issues – any nutrient deficiencies – you may be getting enough but may not be absorbing enough. You aren’t what you eat – you are what you absorb. If you are deficient in B12, iron, Magnesium or Zinc – it is a warning signs for leaky gut. You may not be digesting food properly and so it’s not being broken down properly in order to absorb it.
- Skin issues, acne, eczema, psoriasis, rashes or rosacea.
- Mood issues – anxiety, depression, bipolar, behavioral issues.
How do I treat it?
If you have answered YES to any of these, you are probably in some stage of Leaky Gut Syndrome.
You’ll want to start a program immediately changing your diet and lifestyle, and supplement regimen to help repair your leaky gut.
It’s more than a just a Gut Feeling: Your Overall Health from absorbing your nutrients to How Well Your Immune System Works.
… is determined by Your Gut Health.
Get more tips from Anna, our Holistic Nutritionist at GSSC
The practice of Holistic Nutritional Medicine – is not a Band-Aid approach – It’s getting to the cause of symptoms that helps you back to health.
Glenferrie Sports and Spinal Clinic is located in Hawthorn. Situated conveniently near public transport and with convenient parking it is central to Camberwell, Kew, Richmond, Toorak and Malvern.
For appointments call 03 9815 2555, or book online here